COEXISTING OR MIMICKING CONDITIONS
1. Myofascial Pain Syndrome (MPS) - inflammation of muscle and its fascia.
a protective covering of each muscle in the body.
2. Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome (TMJ) - syndrome
involving the temple and
mandible (jaw) joints characterized with pain, popping and aching.
in the ear may be present)
3. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS/CFIDS) - chronic fatigue not relieved by rest.
Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - characterized by bouts of constipation and
5. Interstitial Cystitis Syndrome
- chronic urinary bladder inflammation and irritation.
6. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - inflammation of the carpal tunnel located
in the wrists. A
nerve, which goes through the carpal tunnel, becomes inflamed and painful and may
numbness and/or tingling in the fingers of the hand.
7. Osteoarthritis - chronic disease involving the joints, especially
the weight bearing
joints: hip, knees, and ankles
8. Cervical and Low Back Degenerative Diseases - deterioration
of spinal bones.
9. Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) - form of arthritis with inflammation of the joints,
swelling, cartilaginous hypertrophy (increase in size of joint) and pain.
10. Systemic Lupus
Erythematosus - a chronic disease characterized by changes in the
vascular system. A skin rash is usually present
across the bridge of the nose and face
in a butterfly pattern. Affects skin, joints, kidneys, nervous system and
11. Ankylosing Spondylitis - chronic progressive disease involving the joints between
articular processes, costovertebral joints and sacroiliac joints. (articular processes -
join; costovertebral joints - rib to spine joints; sacroiliac joints -
pertaining to the hipbone).
- a deficiency of the thyroid secretion, resulting in a lowered basal
metabolism. Obesity, dry skin and hair,
low blood pressure, slow pulse, sluggishness,
of all functions and depressed muscular activity.
Outlet Syndrome - compressed nerves or vessels in the neck and axilla
(armpit) characterized by nerve inflammation.
14. Polymyalgia Rheumatica - pain in muscles of the shoulder and pelvic girdle. Poorly
15. Lyme Disease - inflammatory disorder with skin lesions and Polyarthritis, which
involves heart and nervous
16. Prolapsed Mitral Valve - falling of mitral (heart) valve into the left atrium. Some
have nonanginal chest pain, palpitations, dyspnea (shortness of breath) and
17. HIV Infection - Immunodeficiency
Syndrome, Xerostomia (dryness of the mouth),
Kerotoconjunctivitis Sicca (dryness of conjunctiva (eyes) with inflammations.
Thought to be a form of Collagen Disease.
18. Sjogren's Syndrome - includes Rheumatoid Arthritis.
Phenomenon - digit (finger or toe, usually finger) color changes to red,
white, and/or blue initiated by exposure
to cold or emotional disturbance.
20. Allodynia - condition in which an ordinarily painless stimulus, once perceived,
experienced as being painful, i.e. tickling is perceived as painful.
21. Polymyositis Ossificans - simultaneous
inflammation of many muscles.
22. Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) - characterized by pain and swelling.
- inflammation of muscle and fascia.